Wednesday, April 18, 2012

2 Nephi 2:11

"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so...
righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness or misery, neither good nor bad...."

If not for opposition, agency could not exist. We are often reminded that agency is not free. Agency allows me to participate in the testing process that is a fundamental part of this earthly life. There is a cost associated with agency- the cost is personal- it is damnation or salvation, depending on how I choose to use my agency. My choice is clear, but I often ponder as to why a person would choose to become an enemy to righteousness.

Satan himself was endowed with this beautiful gift of agency, yet he stands today as an enemy, an adversary to all that is good and right.
I love this reminder from Peter, stating
"Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour." Peter 5:8

So, I find myself feeling amazed at the right that I have to agency, overwhelmed at the thought of all that I am capable of gaining if I use that agency properly-
and- because I am human- and also because I happen to be in the process of raising children- I often find myself wondering how my Father in Heaven could trust me with this gift of agency-
as a mom, I want to believe that my children will always make great choices- and then there are days when I wonder WHY that is an option for them- I would rather make that choice for them, because I believe I can see the consequences much more clearly than they can, or because I don't want them to suffer, or hurt, or feel sadness.

Surely my Father feels the same with me as I wander through this life of opposition- as I use my agency, as I succeed and fail and learn.

He must trust me immensely, and see more in me than I see in myself- and with that example in mind I will try to be a better person, and a better parent!

No comments:

Post a Comment