Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Worth of Souls

Yes- the topic is having a repeat visit- for 2 reasons.
1) I have been assigned to talk specifically about self-worth at an upcoming leadership meeting. (I have complained plenty about this- WHY give me this topic- nothing could be more difficult for me than self-worth)

2) After my original post on "the worth of souls", a sweet friend thanked me for reminding her of her worth, and invited me to not forget my own worth. (Dang- I had not thought of that- I was basking in the worth of others!)

I have been considering this, my own worth- since then.
If I had to come up with a list of things that I cannot do well, I could manage to have a pretty lengthy list. But to consider myself worthwhile? HMM

It is so easy to find worth in others. Not so easy to find it in ourselves.
This speaking assignment is beginning to feel impossible! SERIOUSLY!

I have a thought that I am trying to put into words- let me know what you think, PLEASE!

Suppose I handed you a piece of cloth. It is paper sack brown and corse (think of one of those old potato bags)- and if we had the responsibility of making this cloth into something beautiful, say an evening gown- what would come to your mind. I'll start- just in way of cutting out a pattern and sewing- this cloth would be
DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH
and wearing it- some descriptive words that come to mind-
IRRITATING
PRICKLY
UNCOMFORTABLE
The gown itself, as a finished project, may be considered
PLAIN
NO PERSONALITY
UGLY

Basically, using this type of cloth for something it was not intended to be used for can make the cloth itself seem unsuccessful.
BUT- If I were to use it as it was intended, say, for a potato sack, the words to describe it would change- the cloth would then become
STRONG
DURABLE, or capable of enduring
PERFECT, really-

And on the other hand- if I were to take a beautiful piece of satin or silk- and try to make a pair of winter stockings out of it- that cloth would be-
UNWILLING TO STRETCH
it could SNAG, or RUN EASILY
it would be COLD,
SLIPPERY,
Unworthy of winter sock wear- but in the event that I used that cloth to make something beautiful- a dress, frilly pajamas even, that cloth would be
COMFORTING
SOFT
DELIGHTFUL

So my thought is this- aren't we all somewhere in the process of becoming what we were intended to become. When all is said and done- I believe that my Father in Heaven intends for me to be Strong, capable of enduring, Comfortable with who I am, Delightful even- but for today, I am caught somewhere in the process of trying to become what he intended for me to be. Some of those descriptive words, whether I like it or not, may be who I am. Prickly, irritating, hard to work with, plain, ugly, cold, slippery- I suppose I even run into a snag here and there. These descriptive words are harsh- hurtful even- which makes me wonder if I ever used one of these words to describe another of my Fathers children.
If so, I have been so wrong- they too are in the process of becoming what they were intended to become- maybe they are in the prickly part, or the unwilling to stretch part. We must remember that we are all working to become what we were intended to be .... BEAUTIFUL!

1 comment: